I recently enjoyed an extended interview regarding my book How to Understand and Apply the Old Testament: Twelve Steps from Exegesis to Theology (Presbyterian & Reformed, 2017). The podcast aired 3 September 2017 on Equipping You in Grace, hosted by Dave Jenkins. In this 50 minute Q&A you will hear me respond to the following queries:
- Please tell us a little about your life, marriage, ministry, and some of the current ministry projects you are working on (0:22).
- Please tell us a bit about your book How to Understand and Apply the Old Testament, why you wrote it, and how you hope it is received (1:30).
- Why is the Old Testament important for Christians to read (9:22)?
- What are some of the principles that guide your approach to biblical interpretation (15:33)?
- Why is asking, “What is the makeup of the biblical passage?” so important (21:33)?
- How do we observe how the biblical passage is communicated (25:23)?
- What process should we utilize to discover the context of the biblical passage (27:41)?
- How does a growing understanding of biblical theology help Christians to study how the whole Bible progresses, integrates, and climaxes in Christ (30:25)?
- How should Christians begin to discern how a biblical passage theologically coheres with the whole Bible and then to assess essential doctrines, especially as they have direction to the gospel (34:42)?
- How does one apply the biblical text to oneself, the church, and the world (38:03)?
- Tell us a little about the KINGDOM Bible Reading Plan found in the appendix and how you want Christians to utilize it (46:15)?
- Give us four or five of the biggest takeaways you hope readers will gain from your book (48:17).
For more, see the following posts: