If you follow this resource website, you know I often write about seeing Jesus in the Old Testament. I recently presented a paper at the annual meeting for the Evangelical Theological Society on this very topic, and I highlighted seven ways that the practice of biblical theology helps us to both see and celebrate Jesus from his Bible.
Biblical theology helps us see and celebrate Christ:
- Through the Old Testament’s direct Messianic predictions.
- Through the Old Testament’s salvation-historical story and trajectories.
- By highlighting how the old and new ages, creations, and covenants are similar yet distinct.
- By noting how Old Testament characters, events, and institutions clarify and anticipate his person and work.
- As we revel in Yahweh’s identity and activity.
- As we consider the ethical ideas found in Old Testament law and wisdom.
- As we use the Old Testament to instruct or guide others in the law of love.