God designed human marriage as a sign, a pointer, to the union between Christ and his church. Psalm 45 actually predicts the ultimate relationship and by this sets a pattern for human marriage. Following the lead of the messianic King, the husband must provide and protect for his bride. The wife must cleave to and respect her beloved.
Recently, I gave a short wedding meditation on Psalm 45. These are the contents of the meditation:
- (3:23) The Charge to the King: Provide and Protect
- (5:45) The Hope in Marriage
- (9:31) The Call: The Husband Must Provide and Protect
- (13:31) The Charge to the Queen: Cleave and Respect
- (14:57) The Call: The Wife Must Cleave and Respect
- (16:42) The Miracle of a One-Flesh Union